Celebrities leveraged their social media this week to help relief efforts in the devastation from Australia’s wildfires. Australian comedian, Celeste Barber, posted video from her mother-in-law amid the fires. Soon after, Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban donated as well. This week, songwriter Richard Marx joined the efforts, matching donations (with details on his Twitter).
Donate to existing Australian charities, such as these:
- New South Wales Fire Brigade (via Facebook donations) or direct link
- Australia Red Cross
- Port Macquarie Koala Hospital
- Irwin Family Zoo Hospital AKA Wildlife Warriors
- Australian Koala Foundation Donations can be made through its website
- Koalas in Care Inc. The nonprofit accepts funds for its work. It assists about 65 koalas every year, but the bush fire situation is “one that we have never experienced on such an enormous scale.” Here is a video of Lucas the koala recovering from his burns.
- World Wildlife Fund Hundreds koalas have died in the fires and more have been injured or burned, according to figures from the group; it’s likely that many more have died, some ecologists say. Donations go to medical treatment and planting trees for koalas.
- WIRES the NSW Wildlife Information, Rescue and Education Service Inc., is Australia’s largest wildlife rescue organization. Donations can be made online, by telephone and through Facebook and PayPal.